HI 030: Certificate in Education in Emergencies
Education remains a global challenge especially in the emergency context which records as many as 40 million children living in countries are affected by conflicts and fragility. The report postulates that in the next 10 years over 175 million children will be affected due to climate-related disasters. This are alarming statistics and the best we can do as an institution is to produce manpower who can comfortably handle the situation when it will be in place. Although education has been recognized as a life-saving and life-sustaining component by many scholars and actors in Netherlands community, there exists multiple challenges in ensuring the right to education.
The course provides with a comprehensive introduction to the growing and increasingly complex field of education in emergencies one which encompasses crises caused by natural disasters and armed conflict and which spans the relief-development spectrum. Relying upon an underlying developmental and humanitarian theoretical framework, students will engage with practical aspects of planning and implementing education and will have the opportunities to analyze specific country contexts and educational programs.
The topics to be covered include the following;
- Introduction to education in emergencies
- Field of education in emergencies and its underlying theories
- Education and fragility
- Inter-sectoral linkages with emphasis on protection
- Disaster and risk reduction
- Planning and implementation of education in emergencies
- Global Architecture : National and Netherlands actors and funding mechanisms
- Affected populations/beneficiaries
- Education policy and coordination
- Access and quality learning environments
- Teachers and other educational personnel
- Teaching and learning
Course Begins on 1st of every month for 3 Months.
Course Level: Certificate Course
Cost: Amount €400 ( Inclusive of 21% VAT)
To register for this course, kindly contact
Zuiderbrink 63, Gravenhage