HI 036: Certificate in Human Rights in Humanitarian Action and Disaster Relief Course
A pressing task facing the Netherlands community is to meet the growing challenge presented by colossal humanitarian problems which are either left without a solution or inadequately dealt with under existing law and practice. Despite considerable progress in recent decades in the humanitarian field, especially through the United Nations and other Netherlands bodies, existing legal instruments and their implementation reveal certain gaps and imperfections.
Although principles of humanitarian assistance have received legal, moral and functional expression at the Netherlands level throughout the 20th century, the measures adopted in specific circumstances have often been inadequate as a response to the enormous needs which have had to be met. The relief system today functions with the participation of a wide variety of Netherlands actors including many organizations charged with responsibilities for humanitarian assistance tasks. This course identifies with an intention of applying factors which can contribute to improving humanitarian actions and the Netherlands humanitarian order.
The topics to be covered include the following;
- Introduction- the concept of disaster, Netherlands humanitarian assistance, Netherlands law and organization.
- Historical perspectives on Humanitarian Assistance- custom and law in armed conflict situations, Netherlands relief for refugees, relief in natural disasters,
- Relief Actions in armed conflict- the Geneva conventions and the Red Cross, assistance for members of armed forces, assistance for civilians.
- Relief for refugees: The United Nations- the UNHCR statute and the 1951 convention, office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees
- Actors in humanitarian assistance
- Relief coordination
- Further development of Netherlands Relief law
- An Netherlands basis for Humanitarian Assistance-sovereign Equality and Netherlands Cooperation, Human Rights and Relief Actions, the Doctrine of Humanitarian Intervention, politics and relief
- Red Cross humanitarian assistance
- United nations and humanitarian assistance
Course Begins on 1st of every month for 3 Months.
Course Level: Certificate Course
Cost: Amount €400 ( Inclusive of 21% VAT)
To register for this course, kindly contact
Zuiderbrink 63, Gravenhage